Thursday, November 1, 2007

My pocket protector doesn’t make me nerdy, it increases my productivity.

I can’t be considered a nerd anyway; I don’t have a pencil in my pocket protector. This was the justification I gave to my HR person today. She just laughed and walked away. I actual have a ruler (with a sliding clip), a small flat head screwdriver, three pens (two black one blue), and a green highlighter.

Leaving my beer-pong championship days behind I have leaped head first into the idea of being as productive as I possibly can. It is as though I’m attempting to now make up for how undedicated, unorganized, unproductive, inefficient and unmotivated I have been since, well, since I can remember. Taking courses at one of the Big Ten universities before I could drive didn’t really instill the necessity for good study habits in me.

Two weeks into my employment here I was overwhelmed with all the work, projects, and meetings that I needed to keep track of, so I bought a planner.

Three weeks into my employment I purchased a PDA. I chose a Palm Tungsten E2. I chose a PDA over a Black Berry for personal reasons; mainly peer pressure (from those friends still at school) to not be seen as nerdy. Just two weeks after my PDA had arrived my cell phone lost its ability to hold a charge, and therefore function, so I should have just sucked it up and purchased the black berry. Either way, it was a huge upgrade from my overstuffed planner.

I have now developed a game plan for this forthcoming mega-revamp of my entire life. New place, new people, new situation, I might as well add new habits to that list.

Organize. I took all my stuff and created a home for it, maybe not the cleanest more well placed home, but it was a home none the less.
Purge. When there was a home for everything, and everything was in its home I began to go through it and purge what I didn’t need. Articles and notes from courses I have previously taken were scanned into my computer and organized using the Campus Productivity kit in filemaker. I was able to reduce about 80 magazines to two CD’s containing back up files.
Reorganize. I utilized various storage methods, mostly small, open top, plastic boxes. By keeping everything put away I was able to free up a lot of space, which would have otherwise been consumed my pils of unorganized papers. If I needed an article I would have to spend 45 + minutes searching through magazines, whereas now I pull up my database, and select the .pdf I need.
Maintain. So I don't have to do it again.

For those of you who are familiar with Industrial business I am 5s-ing my life.

No comments: