Monday, October 8, 2007

The next chapter

I came to the conclusion some time ago that if I am going to put the effort into building a solid portoflio I need to atleast update it each quarter, if not sooner. But in this modern age is the hard copy portfolio outdate?

Last year when I built my portoflio I decided to make it a hard copy one becuase, in my mind, I would always have it accessable and looking nice. The notion of creating an electronic portfolio remained in the back of my mind, but I never paid it much attention untill now.

As I entered hour two of talking to student's at Iowa State University's engineering career fair, I found myself blind to the differences in skills each student possessed. I was simply looking for the bare minumum we required for the internship open, and ranking students who could easily take on a full time position, with those who are barely qualified for an internship. Then I really became aware of the fact that with today's competitive job market, especially for those seeking employment straight out of college, any little way to help employeers remember you is important. Therefore, I have decided to develop an electronic portfolio, in the form of a .pda, and possibly have an online portfolio.

But I am not sure if I can altogether abandon my hard copy.

No comments: